I cannot lie, I like big buts. Even though I am happily married, with a great career and laser focused on my goals, every once in a while I find myself staring straight at a big but. You probably like big buts too, except you are too embarrassed to admit it. You know what a big but looks like don't you? Here's a few big buts in my life:
- I'd work on that project BUT I have no time.
- I'll take care of that BUT right now I have no money.
- We should do that too, BUT the timing really isn't right.
- I'm sure I would be great at that BUT I have too much on my plate right now.
- I love that idea, BUT I could never do that. It's got failure written all over it.
Get big buts out of your mind. If you are not reaching the goals you have set for yourself, work hard at eliminating the big buts in your life by trying the following actions:
- Expect you will be challenged. Anything worthwhile takes effort.
- Focus on the present moment. What can you do right now that will help your future.
- Understand and accept that it is ok to fail. Failure is growth and growth is great.
- Take responsibility for yourself and your actions. If you don't do it for yourself, no one else will.
- Be excited about your future, keep your plate full, enjoy the ride, the timing is never perfect.
Big buts will come and go in your life. You have the power to handle big buts as they enter your world. Whether you let them control your life or not, it is a decision that is up to you. Don't over complicate your life, the energy required to let a big but take over is much better invested in helping you reach your goals.