Expert Witness, Author, Speaker, Econometrician. John Johnson knows all of this and he really knows data and has grown his company to 80 employees in 7 years but always focused on the culture. Hear all about how he grew his business from this skill set on the Nice Guys today.
- Strickland - "John has the rare ability to explain complex concepts in a simple, straight forward and highly engaging way."
- John - "In my business, which is called "Edgeworth Economics", I am an expert witness and I get very interesting data sets…and I learned about all the economics, understand the data, process it, think about it, run statistical models and go testify to judges and juries about what the data tells me."
- Strickland - "How did you get into this in the first place?"
- John - The types of things that I wanted to do was to build a firm where I could actually teach other experts how to do this kind of work where we can really focus on data and technical rigger but also this teacher quality.
- The work we would do, we would demonstrate that we're smart not by saying we were smart or by being obnoxious but by actually teaching people things and presenting it in a way that they could understand.
- Really the core of my firm has been about finding the best brightest talent we can of people who fit a mold of being willing to really explain and think critically and focus on how they teach others.
- People don't teach you in graduate school both how to think about the economics and learn all the technical parts and also then how you answer real world questions in the face of sometimes imperfect information.
- This whole notion of taking smart PhDs and smart MBAs and saying ok, 'here are ways that you can really develop your career, here are ways that you can learn how to do this from me and from others here'… we really have an incubator for expert witnesses.
- That's what we focus on, 'how do we take people and focus on bringing out the best and really build a brand around being and Edgeworth Economist.
- Which means… someone who is able to explain things simply, someone who is incredibly rigorous with their data analysis and their thinking.
Full show notes available when you download the episode
See more about John here- http://www.johnhjohnsonphd.com/
Check out his company- http://www.edgewortheconomics.com/
And buy his book here- John Johnson's Book- Everydata
Go to Nice Guy Community sign-up and we'll send you the free E-Book "The 5 biggest (relationship) mistakes in business" AND be one of the first 100 people to sign up for the Nice Guys Community to get an invite to our first (to be scheduled) live podcast.
Click through our Amazon.com link before buying anything.
As Amazon.com affiliates, we receive a small commission on purchases made after clicking our links. It cost you nothing extra but supports the podcast. Thanks in advance.
Want to ask us a question or record a show intro for us? Call 4242-DJDoug and leave us a message.
Don't underestimate the Power of Nice.